Study abroad with ERASMUS

Table of Content



General information for international students General information for international students regarding accomodation, health insurance, language courses, ECTS, social network etc. you will find here.

Further useful information you will also find here

Academic calender

The academic year at the University Leipzig is devided in two semesters.

Winter semester: 1st October - 31th March
(Lectures end in January/February then follows a semester break from the beginning of February to the end of March.)

Summer semester: 1st April - 31th September
(Lectures finish in the end of July, then follows a semester break from July until the end of September)

How to apply at the University of Leipzig?

To apply as Erasmus student at the University of Leipzig you have to fill in the forms provided by the International Office, the "Akademische Auslandsamt" (AAA).

More information you can find here

AAA and KMW-Erasmusbüro - who is responsible for what?

The AAA (Akademisches Auslandsamt = International Office) takes care of all general organisation routines during your stay here in Leipzig including application, registration, accomodation, student card etc. The head of the AAA, Dr. Svend Poller, is your institutional co-ordinator.
Prof. Zerfaß is your departmental co-ordinator at the institute of Communication and Media Studies (KMW). He and his assistant in the KMW-Erasmusbüro are responsible for all academical advise and decisions.


Structure The Institute of Communication and Media Studies (KMW-Institut) is devided in the following departments: 1. Historic and systematic communication and media sciences 2. Empiric research in communication and media 3. Journalism (print-, radio-, tv-, agency journalism ) 4. media studies 5. media pedagogy 6. book studies 7. Public Relations & Communication Management

The Institute of communications and media studies offers a large education program. At the present we offer one BA degree program and four MA degree programs concerning

Media and Communication Studies:
BA in Communication and Media
MA in Journalism
MA in Communication Management
MA in Communication and Media

The B.A. of Communication and Media Studies includes modules from all departments. With the M.A. the students can specialize in Journalism, Communication Management and Communication and Media Studies. Information about the academic program of the Institute of Communication and media studies you find here.


Where to find ones courses? All courses offered by the Department of Communication and Media Studies can be found online: There are no obligatory courses. You are free to choose your courses on your own. Please ask your departmental co-ordinator respectively his assistent ( to learn about modules/courses that could be chosen by ERASMUS Incoming students. Please consider the specifications of your Home University: How many courses do you have to attend? How many credits do you need? Do you need marks?


Do I have to enrol for courses?

There is no obligation to enrole for Exchange students. But you should definitely write an email to the lecturer in order to introduce yourself. The email should include:
- name, home country, home institution
- program of study, year of study
- What did you study already?
Go to  the first session and introduce yourself.

First of all you choose a course from the course catalogue that you would like to attend. You don´t have to study entire modules. 
You can choose…
… lectures from the Bachelor program. In that case you will have to pass a written exam at the end of the course.
… a seminar from the Bachelor program. Then you will have to write a term paper (thesis) or have to prepare a spoken presentation (referat). For both you will get a “Schein” with your credit points.
… a course from the Master Program (seminar). Then you have to arrange with your lecturer what kind of exam you have to pass, in order to get credit points.
… a course from the so called “old study program” (Magister, Diploma). Then you have to make individual arrangements with your lecturer as well.

Please note: It is always better to make clear individual arrangements with the lecturer regarding modalities of assessments (e.g. where and when to get the “Scheine”).

May I attend in other courses that are offered by other Departments?

Generally you should talk to the lecturer. You may choose courses offered by other faculties and departments – but you need to get the permission of the lecturers. If you want to attend courses that are offered by other faculties or departments, just write an e-mail to the respective lecturer and introduce yourself to him/her at the first session.

Useful information you will find also here.

Are there courses in english?

At the Department of Communication and Media Studies the general teaching language is German. There are no courses/lectures taught in English language. Therefore you need to have good language skills in German.

Where to find courses to improve once German?

The website of the International Office will help you:

English Version here


How many credits (ECTS) do I get for one course? There are different ways to get credit points: Bachelor and Master program 10 ECTS … you attend an entire module and pass all exams 5 ECTS … you attend  half a  module and pass all exams 2 ECTS … you regular attend courses without performing services like passing a written exam, writing a term paper or holding a presentation, you get a “Teilnahmenachweis” Old study program (Magister, Diploma) 4 ECTS … get a “Leistungsschein” by performing a written term paper or holding a presentation 2 ECTS … get a “Teilnahmenachweis” by attending a course without performing services like passing a written exam, writing a term paper or holding a presentation


How does the grading system work? 

You can get marks from 1 to 5.

1,0/ 1,3/ 1,5

Very Good

1,7/ 2,0/ 2,3/ 2,5


2,7/ 3,0/ 3,3/ 3,5


3,7/ 4,0






Learning Agreement: What do I have to know?

The Learning Agreement is your individual course plan. Your Home University needs it among other things in order to comprehend if and what you studied at your Host University.
As soon as you have chosen your courses from the course catalogue you list them on your Learning Agreement. Usually the catalogue of courses („Vorlesungsverzeichnis“) fort he winter semester is published by the end of August, the one for the summer semester by the end of February. The catalogue can be found here:
It may happen that your course plan is changing, for instance because the course catalogue or your preferences are changing. That`s no problem. In case you have to hand in your Learning Agreement early just fill it out provisorily with the most current catalogue of courses (link see above). You may change your Learning Agreement later.

How do I get my Transcript of Records?

How to get your Transcript of Records:

  1. before you leave Leipzig you have to pick up your “Leistungsscheine” and “Teilnahme-scheine” at the lecturer or secretary
  2. then you hand in the originals of all your “Leistungsscheine” and “Teilnahmescheine” at the ERASMUS office
  3. You can take home directly your signed Transcript of Records
  4. In case you have to leave earlier, please make sure that your “Leistungsscheine” and “Teilnahmescheine” will be send directly to the ERASMUS office (post office pox: PF 165121) by the lecturer or secretary. Otherwise you have to send the “Scheine” as a copy by post/fax or email to the ERASMUS office. We gladly send your documents to your University or your home-address.



For more information please contact: international.kmw(at)





    Aktuelles ERASMUS

    no news in this list.